Monday, January 19, 2009

Lancaster Brewing Company: The Pearl Jam of Beers

You know how "Ten" is arguably the best album released by Pearl Jam? And how the release of "Vs." was met with staggering reviews and not immediately a favorite new release for existing Pearl Jam fans? And how "Vitology" presented some of the worst songs Pearl Jam ever made causing a number of people to just give up on new Pearl Jam albums?

Lancaster Brewing Company is the Pearl Jam of beers. Not really knowing what they offer, Lancaster Brewing Company reeled me in with an enjoyable Milk Stout. A talk, dark and handsome beer- a perfect beverage on a cold as shit type of day. Drinking this beverage, you think to yourself, "Gee, I wonder what other beers Lancaster has to offer." And this is how you find yourself buying a sampler case to bring to a party. The only problem is, besides the Milk Stout, there's not really anything left that's worth while.

It could just be me. I don't dig a sweet beer. I didn't expect the "Amish Four Grain Pale Ale" to be sweet so I was especially annoyed with this beer. The website describes it as a "multi-grain pale ale summons the sweetness of oats, the complexity of rye, and the smoothness of malted wheat, balanced by a generous dry hopping of imported, noble Saaz hops." What a waste of some noble hops.

Lancaster's IPA, "Hop Hog" was OK. Not amazing, not wonderful, it was a beer that you can drink and be OK with. Maybe my disappointment has to do with my drinking a variety of amazing IPA's over the weekend. Maybe I was still pissed off about that Pale Ale. But either way, the Hop Hog is simply alright.

Moving forward, I won't write off Lancaster Brewing Company as a means for decent brew. I'm hopeful that their seasonal beers can help me forget about this disappointment that can only be compared to listening to Vs. and Vitology when I was 16.

No comments: