Thursday, August 13, 2009

Produce Man

Thursdays are fun because the Farmers' Market sets up their little stands and sells produce to the fine people of Fairmount. It feels good to eat food that was grown within an hours drive of your house. You can ask the farmer guy from New Jersey if he sprayed these particular crops with pesticides and if so, he'll tell you what chemicals were involved as you nod your head concentration in your eyes pretending you know what chemicals are good and bad.

The only part of Farmers Market Shopping that's tricky is choosing your produce stand of preference. Two of the stands have cheap prices and beautiful looking produce. But what they're lacking is an attractive farm lad peddling produce.

Maybe it's just me. But I'm partial to one particular stand because of the somewhat shy farmer boy with hazel eyes for the simple fact that (even as a woman who loves her boyfriend deeply) I like to look at a pretty face and blush from time to time. What girl doesn't?

We have a brief conversation about vegetables and what to do with them, I give him money, his hand brushes against my hand when he gives me the change and he says, "See you next week." There's nothing wrong with innocent swooning.

The downside of this is that I'm literally paying for the interaction. On several occasions, I've purchased produce that I was pretty sure wouldn't be consumed. Weird looking carrots, tiny zucchini, potatoes- I wasn't planning to cook these items, I just made a purchase for the sake of supporting the attractive produce peddler. I make my small purchase and then do my real shopping where I get a bag full of locally grown shit for under $10.

It just occurred to me that I'm exploiting the attractive produce peddler... or is he exploiting me?


No comments: